Residents’ Foods from the Outside Policy Reminder
Winslow House Care Center
Throughout the year, but particularly during holidays, our residents appreciate comfort foods from home. When bringing in these items, there are several important food safety precautions to keep in mind.
- We recommend that foods be brought in portion sizes for immediate consumption since storage options are limited.
- Food from any outside source cannot be brought into the kitchen. Bring foods directly to your resident’s nurse first to be labeled (residents name, date received, and date to discard) and then these items may be stored in a designated refrigerator or resident’s room (if ready to eat).
- Foods may be stored no more than 3 days after opening/being delivered and under refrigeration if perishable.
- We are not able to wash or store empty personal food containers in the kitchen. They should be picked up directly from your resident’s room.
- Only ready-to-eat, non-perishable foods can remain in a resident’s room, such as cookies, chips, crackers, candy, nuts and other non-perishables. These items must be stored in bags/sealed containers and dated as well as stored off of the floor.
- If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at (319) 377-8296.